Tuesday, April 15, 2014

OUR DEFEATS NURTURE OUR DREAMS

Strange as MSA is, it attacks everyone in a different manner. Movement had always been my strongest asset and yet it has been in that part of my brain that the gremlins had launched their biggest attack. I see and read of patients taking their dogs for a walk and wonder how that is possible. On the other hand my speech has remained unaffected thus far, for which I'm thankful. Lately it has become impossible to get me into the car - not even with the help of two strong men. Many a transfer from the wheelchair to the car has ended up in a disaster, further robbing me and all concerned of our confidence.

I am not yet ready to give up outings, and need to get to doctors, dentists et cetera. Therefore we started investigating the option of acquiring a vehicle suitable for adapting so the wheelchair can roll in via a ramp.

I had high hopes that this would be financially possible if I trade my car in and use the donation given to me in December last year. This happened in a most miraculous way through a friend who walked the Camino in Spain. My benefactor stipulated that it was for future medical costs. I am thankful for this miracle in our storm.

We started looking out for suitable second hand vehicle, and someone with the know-how to do the necessary conversions. Soon everybody was excitedly swept up in the search and the car-to-be was, prematurely, named the 'Coffee-Mobile'.

I imagined myself sitting in the back of the Coffee-Mobile driving through the beautiful autumn vineyards on the way to lunch at a wine farm with my Sissi Karin in the driver's seat. Or a trip around the mountain along the ocean with hubby on a weekend, enjoying the view from my wheelchair. Or some retail therapy and coffee in the mall. Or parking at the beach to watch the sun set. This was going to make life so much easier, less stressful,  and therefore more fun for all.

My son went to see the local engineer who does said conversions to vehicles. After he came back stating the engineer's vehicle preference and the cost of the necessary conversions, our dream was shattered; the costs would not be covered by our budget.

Disappointed, I felt like throwing my toys out the cot - not the best way to handle life's disappointments.

I haven't given up hope that the Coffee-Mobile might happen someday. There is nothing like hope to keep one going. Whoever said this spoke the truth; "our defeats nurture our dreams". 

In the mean time I will be content to stay at home and travel through the beautiful photos posted by my talented friends on facebook;


Me travelling with my pc in the Lazy-girl . Photo Laurette's Photography


Spectacular Strand beach. Photo Laurette's Photography


I get to see the sun set at our beautiful beach. Photo Laurette's Photography





The last rays of the sun turned the ocean into liquid gold. Photo Laurette's Photography


Douwleen Bredenhann walks me up a colourful path...


...to this beautiful pergola at Somerlust guesthouse 



A stunningly beautiful cloud formation at sunset, captured by Douwleen Bredenhann



"There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner." — G. K. Chesterton


Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you;

 never will I forsake you.” 

I thank my friends Laurette and Douwleen for the use of their photos

6 comments:

  1. Dear Sissi, I will not give up hope and continue to pray that a solution will be found so that you and I can once again get out on the road again. "Our wishlist" to do this, is a reclineable wheelchair because Sonja can't sit upright as long as before and a car that has been converted to take her in this wheelchair to our favourite places. Our coffeemobile WILL COME!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sissi, I know it is in God's power. If it is in His will it will happen. What a joyful day that will be to take the road with you again! Love you lots, your Sissi

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blog. Keep your hope and faith. God loves you.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting messages - drop us a line.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...